MANGER STORY / SILENT NIGHT THE ORIGINAL GERMAN VERSION

Silent Night ( Stille Nacht, Sung By The Vienna Boys Choir)
Young Mary the Mother
Gazed fondly at Him,
And softly fingered
The manger's rim.

St. Joseph sat musing
On a bundle of hay,
The shepherds played sweetly
A bagpipe lay.

The angels stood smiling
In heaven's joy
And humbly adoring
The infant Christ-boy.

The ox and the donkey
Forgot the fresh straw
And knelt down in wonder
At what they saw.
The walls were shining
Like molten gold,
The winds sang gaily
Around the fold.

And gleaming silver
Strewed every star,
And sang a star greeting
From heaven afar.

– Frederick M. Lynk, S.V.D.
Robert, Cyril. Our Lady's Praise in Poetry. New York: Marist Press, 1944.

SILENT NIGHT THE ORIGINAL GERMAN VERSION Silent Night ( Stille Nacht, Sung By The Vienna Boys Choir)
Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht! 
Alles Schläft, einsam wacht 
nur das traute, hochheilige Paar. 
Holder Knabe im lockigen Haar, 
schlaf in himmlischer Ruh'! (2x)

Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht! 
Hirten erst kundgemacht. 
Durch der Engel Halleluja 
tönt es laut von fern und nah: 
Christ, der Retter ist da. (2x)

Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht! 
Gottes Sohn, o wie lacht 
Lieb' aus deinem göttlichen Mund, 
da uns schlägt die rettende Stund', 
Christ, in deiner Geburt! (2x)

"Silent Night" (German: Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht) is a popular Christmas carol, composed in 1818 by Franz Xaver Gruber to lyrics by Joseph Mohr in the small town of Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria. It was declared an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2011.[1] The song has been recorded by a large number of singers from every music genre. The version sung by Bing Crosby is the third best-selling single of all-time.
The song was first performed on Christmas Eve 1818 at St Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf, a village in the Austrian Empire on the Salzach river in present-day Austria. A young priest, Father Joseph Mohr, had come to Oberndorf the year before. He had written the lyrics of the song "Stille Nacht" in 1816 at Mariapfarr, the hometown of his father in the Salzburg Lungau region, where Joseph had worked as a co-adjutor.
The melody was composed by Franz Xaver Gruber, schoolmaster and organist in the nearby village of Arnsdorf. Before Christmas Eve, Mohr brought the words to Gruber and asked him to compose a melody and guitar accompaniment for the Christmas Eve mass.[2] Together they performed the new carol during the mass on the night of 24 December.
The original manuscript has been lost. However, a manuscript was discovered in 1995 in Mohr's handwriting and dated by researchers as c. 1820. It states that Mohr wrote the words in 1816 when he was assigned to a pilgrim church in Mariapfarr, Austria, and shows that the music was composed by Gruber in 1818. This is the earliest manuscript that exists and the only one in Mohr's handwriting.
The first edition was published by Friese (de) in 1833 in a collection of Four Genuine Tyrolean Songs, with the following musical text.

You Might Also Like

0 comentários

Mapa De Visitante